How to Become a Member
For more information, or to submit a nomination, please contact:
Herbert Swick, M.D.
Chair, American Osler Society Membership Committee
All nominations must received by the administrator no later than February 1 to be considered at that year’s annual meeting.
Please include the following information with each nomination:
- Completed and signed application form (Click on this link to download the form) must be signed by two sponsor members.
- List significant publications that pertain to 1) William Osler, 2) other medical historical topics, 3) other publications.
- List of all the nominee’s publications, included separately from the one-page list of significant publications noted above. This should include complete papers (whether published or accepted for publication). Use the Index Medicus bibliographic form. Please do not send an extensive curriculum vitae.
- Statement from nominee as to why he/she is interested in membership in the American Osler Society, and what the nominee would hope to contribute to the Society.
- Letter of recommendation from member proposing nominee.
- Letter of recommendation from member seconding the nominee.
- Two (2) copies of each of the candidate’s five (5) most significant publications pertaining to William Osler and/or the history of medicine.
- If, between the time that the nomination form is submitted, and the time of the spring AOS Board of Governor’s Meeting, the nominee has a significant publication appear, please submit supporting materials indicating such information to this office.
- Two (2) copies 4″ x 5″, black and white photographs, head & shoulders pose.
The Latin on the certificate is translated below.
AT MEMORIA BENE REDDITAE VITAE SEMPITERNA QUOD ENIM MUNUS REIPUBLICAE AFFERRE MAJUS, MELIUSVE POSSUMUS, QUAM SI DOCEMUS ATQUE ERUDIMUS JUVENTUTEM.
But the memory of a life laid down well is eternal and for what greater, or more preferable, gift are we able to bring to the state than if we teach and educate the youth.